Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Golden Olive

I wasn’t always this pale

In fact someone called me black once

After a long day of running around in the summer sun

Out by the pool on the golf course

I wasn’t always this thin either

In fact some people called me “chunky”

Or chubby or even fatty

Back in my younger school days

I’ve come to except pale over time

After looking in the mirror long enough

And deciding baking out in sunrays is overrated

I now call myself Golden Olive

Makes me feel good about my pasty coloring

I haven’t quite accepted my thinness so well

It’s shocking when people call me little

Who me? I always reply

Maybe if people had made fun of my tan instead of my weight

I wouldn’t have such a warped view on reality

And its not that I don’t I eat

I eat all day long

Another day another corn dog

That’s what I always say

Cereal. Smoothie. Turkey burger. Veggies. Fruit. PB&J.

Not always in that order

Instead I still see

Chubby Chunky Fatty

Words embedded in my head

Only now I’m pale as if being fat wasn’t hard enough

1 comment:

  1. those embedded words dont seem so embedded after all my dear
    but rather dominating a sense of our selves that we have yet to discover... we wake up as a different person everyday with the experiences we hold shaping who will be tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete